BUFFALO, NY — Buffalo residents are urged to make use of cooling centers located throughout the city during the extremely hot and humid weather streak.
“We are seeing the hottest weather conditions so far this summer. The combination of high temperatures and extremely high humidity will result in “real feel” conditions that feel like the mid- to upper-90s. These conditions will be particularly difficult for our elderly and young children,” Mayor Byron Brown said. “It’s important for all our residents to take the necessary precautions to stay cool and hydrated, and please keep an eye on your vulnerable neighbors.”
The following cooling sites will be open:
- Autumnwood Senior Center, 1800 Clinton St. – open until 4 pm Wednesday, open Monday through Friday from 7:30 am to 4 pm
- The Belle Center, 104 Maryland St. – open Wednesday until 6 pm, open Monday through Friday from 6:30 am to 6 pm
- The Broadway Market Food Court, 999 Broadway – 8am to 5pm, every day except Sunday.
- Delavan-Grider Community Center, 977 E. Delavan Ave. – open until 9 pm Wednesday, 9 am to 9 pm Thursday and Friday, 10 am to 2 pm, Saturday
- Dorothy J. Collier Community Center, 118 E. Utica St. – open until 3 pm Wednesday, Thursday and Friday, 9 am to 1 pm
- Edward Saunders Community Center, 2777 Bailey Ave. – open 24 hours every day, except Thursday, 7 am to 3 pm
- Gloria J. Parks Community Center, 3242 Main St. – open until 9 pm Wednesday, and 9 am to 9 pm, every day, expect Sunday;
- Northwest Buffalo Community Center, 155 Lawn St. – open Wednesday until 5 pm, open Monday through Friday from 8 am to 5 pm
- Richmond-Summer Senior Center, 337 Summer St. – open Wednesday until 4 pm, open Monday through Friday from 9 am to 4 pm
- William-Emslie YMCA Senior Center, 585 William St. – open Wednesday until 3 pm, open Monday through Friday from 9 am to 3 pm
Residents can also cool down at the following Buffalo & Erie County libraries:
- Central Library, 1 Lafayette Square – open until 7 pm Wednesday, open Thursday, 8 am to 7 pm, and Friday and Saturday, from 9 am to 5 pm;
- Frank E. Merriweather Library, 1324 Jefferson Ave. – open until 8 pm Wednesday, open Thursday, Noon to 8 pm, and open Friday and Saturday 10 am to 6 pm;
- Dudley Branch Library, 2010 South Park Ave. – open Wednesday until 6 pm, open Thursday 11 am to 7 pm, and Saturday, 10 am to 6 pm;
- East Clinton Branch Library, 1929 Clinton St. – open Wednesday until 7 pm, open Friday, 10 am to 6 pm, and Saturday 9 am to 5 pm;
- Isaias Gonzalez-Soto Branch Library, 280 Porter Ave. – open Wednesday until 7 pm, open Thursday, 10 am to 6 pm, and Friday and Saturday, 9 am to 5 pm
Residents can also visit the city’s splash pads and two indoor pools at Cazenovia Pool (626 Abbott Rd.) and Lovejoy Pool (1171 E. Lovejoy St.).
City splash pads are open from 11 am to 7 pm every day, weather permitting.
For more information, residents should call 211.